Are you a parent of a canine? Do you like to celebrate your dog’s birthday?
Whether you actually celebrate the date of Fido’s birth, or the date he joined your family, spoiling your dog on his special day can be a lot of fun. While cats and other pets will be generally “pffft” about such affairs, dogs literally do get excited when a fuss is made over them. Just watch any dog at a family party or gathering, and you will see they are just like human children – but wearing doggy suits!
If you plan to make your dog a birthday cake, it goes without saying that the normal human variety will not be good for him. There is a wide variety of canine-friendly birthday cake recipes to be found online. They should be sugar-free, and many dogs will do better with a cake that is grain-free.
Image courtesy of Google Images
This recipe is not only great for dogs; human family members can enjoy eating it too – and it tastes remarkably good!
You Will Need:
• 1 egg
• ¼ cup peanut butter
• ¼ cup cooking oil
• 1/3 cup honey
• 1 cup grated carrot (raw)
• 1 cup wholemeal flour
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
What to Do:
• Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
• Grease or spray a ring-shaped tin of six cups capacity
• Combine peanut butter, egg, vanilla, oil and honey; blend well in a large bowl.
• Stir in carrots well.
• Sift flour with baking soda and add it to the carrot mixture.
• Spoon batter into prepared pan.
• Bake for 40 minutes.
• Cool for 10 minutes in pan, the turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
You can make frosting by mixing ¾ cups of cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and ½ cup unsalted and unsweetened peanut butter.
Next week, we will share some recipes for grain-free, sugar-free doggy cakes, suitable for dogs that do better when avoiding grains of any kind